An independent Audit Committee oversees the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s systems of accountability.
What the Audit Committee does
The Audit Committee provides an independent appraisal of our:
- Risk management and internal control systems
- Audit and evaluation arrangements
It follows up the recommendations from evaluations and audits and sees that they are implemented.
It also reports to the Secretary General and works with the Comptroller and Auditor General.
The Audit Committee publishes an annual report on its work (Download below).
Audit Committee Members
The Audit Committee’s membership have backgrounds in audit, risk management, overseas development assistance, and public administration. The Committee usually meets at least six times a year.
The current members are:
- Mr Jim O'Brien (appointed July 2014 and as Chairman with effect from July 2016) is a retired civil servant, having last worked at Second Secretary General level in the Department of Finance
- Mr Donal Corcoran (appointed July 2010) is a chartered management accountant and a retired management consultant.
- Mr Jim Gillespie (appointed July 2011) is a chartered accountant and a former partner in Ernst and Young.
- Ms Emer Daly (appointed March 2012) is a chartered accountant and a company director.
Download the 2015 Annual Report of the Audit Committee
PDF download of the 2015 Annual Report of the Audit CommitteeDownload PDF (494KB)