The Management Board (MB) is an advisory and decision-making forum that supports the Secretary General in the management of the Department. The Board is chaired by the Secretary General, Niall Burgess and membership comprises the Second Secretaries General, Assistant Secretaries based in Ireland, and four officers at the Counsellor/equivalent grade. The Board assists the Secretary General in the formulation and management of policies and programmes as well as in the development and improved performance of the organisation. The Board also decides on assignments within the Department, at home and abroad, other than at Assistant Secretary and Head of Mission levels.
The Board meets fortnightly. Other Departmental officials attend MB meetings periodically to brief and participate in discussions on topical developments in their areas of responsibility.
The MB also meets periodically with the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Department's Ministers of State to consider strategic policy and management direction. Such meetings are in addition to on-going interaction between Ministers, members of the MB and other senior officials.
The current members of the Board are:
- Mr. Niall Burgess, Secretary General
- Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason, Second Secretary General, Ambassador to France
- Mr. John Conlon, Chief Financial Officer, Finance and Procurement Unit
- Mr. Kevin Conmy, Director, Western Europe, Europe Division
- Ms. Ann Derwin, Director General, Irish Abroad Division
- Mr. Michael Gaffey, Director General, Development Cooperation Directorate
- Mr. James Kingston, Legal Adviser, Legal Division
- Ms. Síle Maguire, Chief of Protocol
- Mr. Eamonn McKee, Director General, Trade & Promotion Division
- Ms. Alison Milton, Director, Humanitarian Unit, DCD
- Mr. Rory Montgomery, Second Secretary General, European Union Division
- Mr. Fergal Mythen, Director General, Corporate Services Division
- Ms. Aingeal O'Donoghue, Ambassador to Korea
- Mr. Eoin O'Leary, Director General, European Neighbourhood and Policy Division
- Mr. Adrian O'Neill, Second Secretary General, Director General, Ireland, UK and Americas Division
- Mr. Barrie Robinson, Political Director, Political Division