Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Where can I locate relevant forms/documents?

How can I get a passport form?

Passport Application Form

If you have previously held an Irish passport, you can now apply for your passport book and/or Passport Card online using the Online Passport Renewal Service. Renewing online is the cheapest and most convenient way to renew a passport and it can be done anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you are not eligible for the Online Passport Renewal Service, or do not wish to apply online, you can still submit a paper application. Please note that the application form cannot be downloaded. Please see below for details on how to obtain an application form.

There are two types of application forms:

  • Use an APS 1 form if you are living in Ireland. This form is available in English and Irish.
  • Use an APS 2 form if you are living in Northern Ireland, Great Britain or anywhere else in the world. This form is available in English and Irish.

You must apply for your Irish passport from the country where you are permanently living. This means that you cannot use the application process intended for residents of Ireland if you are only visiting Ireland but are normally resident elsewhere.

Residents of Northern Ireland who wish to submit a paper application should apply through Northern Ireland Passport Express. Residents of Northern Ireland who are traveling soon and do not have sufficient time to submit an application by post can submit an application at the public counter in Dublin or Cork using an APS 2 form. This counter service is by appointment only.

Where can I get a Passport form?

Applicants resident in Ireland must use an APS 1 form

You can pick up an APS 1E passport application form at:

  • Any Garda station.
  • At your local Post office.
  • The Passport Offices in Dublin or Cork.

If you cannot obtain a form or if you need a large number of forms, please contact us by phone or email and we will post the forms to you.

Applicants resident outside of Ireland must use an APS 2 form

If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll find APS 2 passport application forms in many Post Offices.

If you live outside Ireland, you can get an APS 2 passport application form from your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.

Sole Guardian Affidavit

Passport applications for children under the age of 18 need the consent of all guardians. In some circumstances, a passport application for a child may need to be accompanied by a Sole Guardian Affidavit (AFF1). This form can be downloaded here. Please read instructions on form carefully. More information on guardianship and passport applications is available here.

Declaration Form A

If your child was born after January 1st 2005 and you wish to demonstrate the citizenship of your child through habitual residency in Ireland of parents who were born within the EU, the EEA or Switzerland (excluding Northern Ireland and Great Britain) a Declaration Form A‌ will be required. This is a sworn statement by the parent, giving details of their period of residency in Ireland. It must be properly witnessed.