Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Missing person abroad

If you suspect that a friend or relative has gone missing abroad, we can offer you advice and practical help on what you can do.

Contact the Gardaí

Your first action in any case where you believe a person to be missing is to contact your local Garda station in Ireland and file a missing persons report. The Gardaí will then forward the report to Interpol, who are the relevant international policing authority and coordinate searches for missing persons and liaise with foreign police forces.

You can contact the Garda Interpol Liaison office in Dublin directly by email: or telephone +353 1 666 2040.

Contact our Embassies and Consulates

Our Embassies and Consulates abroad can make enquiries about the welfare or whereabouts of Irish people.

What we can do

What we can’t do