We advise you to exercise normal precautions.
The Republic of Moldova is currently experiencing political unrest and this leads to regular street protests and occasional outbreaks of violence, especially in the centre of Chişinău. Such gatherings, and crowded areas generally, should be avoided.
Transnistria is a slice of territory between the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine seeking autonomous status, and is not under Moldovan government control. Previous tensions between the Government of the Republic of Moldova and the breakaway region of Transnistria have abated somewhat, but caution is advised if travelling in that area as the capacities of Irish or EU consular services to intervene may be limited. In particular, the authorities in the Transnistrian region can be suspicious about visitors taking photos, especially in the vicinity of government or military buildings or installations. Visitors to Transnistria are advised against taking any photos in public which could lead to police query.
Because there is no resident Irish Embassy in the Republic of Moldova, we are limited in the help as can offer you in an emergency situation. However, if you need assistance, please contact the Irish Embassy in Bucharest.
You can contact the emergency services in the Republic of Moldova by dialling:
- 901 for fire.
- 902 for police.
- 903 for medical assistance.
EU Directive on Consular Protection
Under the EU Consular Protection Directive, Irish nationals may seek assistance from the Embassy or Consulate of any other EU member state in a country where there is no Irish Embassy or permanent representation.
Our tips for Safe Travels:
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which covers all your intended activities.
- Add an alert for your destination within the Travelwise App.
- Register your details with us so that we can contact you quickly if there’s an unforeseen crisis like a natural disaster or a family emergency.
- Follow us on twitter @dfatravelwise for the latest travel updates.
- Read our ‘Know Before You Go’ guide.
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:03:07 BST